Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy #1) : Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8835379-ruby-red
Ruby Red (Precious Stones Trilogy #1) by Kerstin Gier

My rating: ★★★★★

The Gist:
A novel about a girl who unexpectedly discovers that she has the ability to travel through time.

The Nitty Gritty:
In Gwen's family, the time travel gene is passed down through the female line. Everyone thought that her cousin, Charlotte would be the bearer of this gene so they trained Charlotte her entire life for time travel while Gwen was left to live her life as she willed. While everyone waits for Charlotte to travel for her first time, Gwen travels back to an unfamiliar time period and realizes that she has the gene instead. She is quickly introduced into this world of time travel, which is filled with mystery, only to discover that she may be playing a smaller part in a bigger event.

The Characters:
Gwen- protagonist with a very likeable personality. I can't really pinpoint a specific reason but I really liked Gwen's character.
Gideon de Villiers- male protagonist. I'm assuming that he is meant to be the Gwen's romantic interest, she is in fact crushing on him, but I'm not yet rooting for the two of them. Gideon is also a time traveler, in the de Villiers' family the gene is passed through the male line.
Count Saint Germain- potential antagonist. This guy gives me the creeps. He seems like he's up to something. Actually, he most definitely up to something. He's a time traveler, ancestor of Gideon, and first to actually study and document time traveling in the two families.

The Ending:
I loved the plot twist! I didn't see it coming until later on but it was still good. 

The Overall Opinion:
This book basically set up the world and the story for the next two books. There wasn't any grand plot line or anything like that. It pretty much just introduced us to the main characters and some of the dark and mysterious things that are going to be central to the plot of future books. It really just introduces things for the sake of posing potential questions that will be answered in the remainder of the series. I think it might be better to think of this book as a prequel to the next book rather than the first part of the series (do you get what I'm trying to say?) I still enjoyed it though. It was a quick and fun read. I'd never read a time travel novel before and I would consider this a good introduction to the YA time travel genre. There wasn't much romance going on in this book which is fine because there are other things happening. I can't really come up with any negatives. I'm not quite obsessing about it nor was I suffering from a book hangover but I enjoyed the story and that's all you can really ask for, right? Everything else is just a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment