Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reviving Izabel (In The Company of Killers #2) : Review

Reviving Izabel by J. A. Redmerski

My rating: ★★★

The Gist
Izabel takes action into her own hands and gets herself into trouble of the lethal kind.

The Nitty Gritty
This is the sequel to Killing Sarai. It continues a few months after where the first book ends. Izabel is unhappy with the things that took place towards the end of the first book and decides she is going to take care of it herself. She goes off to try to kill someone but, being as unskilled an assassin as she is, fails at the job. This makes her a target and of course she's going to need Victor's help to get herself out of this mess she's made. She convinces Victor to train her and thus the story continues.

The Ending
I was actually pleased with the ending. Sometimes the conclusions to stories in a series are disappointing due to the high expectations I tend to have. This conclusion didn't disappoint me though which is a huge plus.

The Overall Opinion
I liked this book but I didn't find it to be nearly as exciting as the first one. Killing Sarai was unique because I'd never read an assassin book before and I'd never read any book like what Killing Sarai was about. Of course, I set the bar high for the sequel but my expectations weren't fully met. I was excited that Sarai/Izabel got to train to be an assassin but I was hoping the training process would be in more detail than it was. I'm glad that we got to see a different side to Victor and that Victor and Sarai/Izabel's relationship developed. I actually liked the romance in this book even though it wasn't the typical type of romance. Victor and Izabel did not have typical lives so they shouldn't really see love and romance in the typical way. Makes sense. We get to see more of the assassin occupation in terms of interrogation and spying. The interrogation, as conducted by Frederik, was gruesome but fit perfectly with the book.

Reviving Izabel serves as a good sequel but did not leave me with the same level of amazement and post-reading awe as its predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment