Saturday, February 1, 2014

January Wrap Up

Without even realizing it, I read eight books this month. I don't know how or when or why... well, I know why, its because I love reading but I don't know how or when. Overall I would say it was an average or maybe slightly below average month. Though, I have a feeling that the book that there's one specific book that is dragging it down.

Requiem (Delirium #3) by Lauren Oliver
If I get into what I really thought about this book, it would be a while before I stopped. In short, it didn't live up to my expectations. At all. I feel like there was so much potential and the story didn't reach that high. The love triangle situation was not dealt with very well. The aftermath of the awesome ending to Pandemonium was practically non-existent (well, it existed but it was really lame so I think it's just better to pretend that it didn't happen). The ending of this book and thus the whole series is by far the WORST conclusion I have ever read.
 ★★
I tried reading an alien book before and it just didn't work out. The synopsis for this sounded similar so I was a bit unsure about it but I'm glad I picked it up because I ended up really liking it. A good example of "don't judge a book by its cover," Obsidian is actually better than it looks. Yes there are cheesy moments but the cheesiness works.

★★★★


Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
It didn't live up to the expectations I had for after reading Obsidian. I felt like the story progression kind of stopped at points and though things were happening, the story itself was going nowhere. It was just okay but good enough to make me want to read the next one.

★★★





Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I felt pretty much the same way about this book as I did about the last one, Onyx. The story would stall at points throughout the book and I felt like it could have been shorter than it was because of this. Kate/Kat's character annoyed me a bit in this installment. The ending though was really good! I really liked that. I will be taking a break before I read Origin because I might just be suffering from a bit of Lux overload at this point.

★★★

The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carelson
I received this through NetGalley for review. I didn't really know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. This is a story about a girl struggling to find her identity. I found myself relating to Laila, the main character, in several ways throughout the book and reading this book was just an overall positive experience.

★★★★


Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins
A quick and fun read. It really reminded me of Vampire Diaries and Harry Potter. The main character, Sophie, is very similar to Rose Hathaway, especially in her wit and don't-care attitude. There are plot twists that I probably should have seen coming, yet I didn't. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

★★★★



Ruby Red (Precious Stones Trilogy #1) by Kerstin Gier
I read this because I've heard people rave about it on BookTube (YouTube). This book did not disappoint. It was fun and exciting. The reading was quick. It's a great intro to the time travel genre and though nothing extraordinary happens in this book, I am excited to read the rest of the series and see where the story goes because there is definitely plenty of potential.

★★★★★




The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
I'd wanted to read this for a long time, especially because I'd read some of the quotes from this book that I absolutely loved. Thought it felt a bit slow at times, the story got better and more exciting as it went on and the ending was beautiful and fully satisfying. I blame the slow pace (my only critique) to the fact that I'm used to YA books which tend to go at a much faster pace than this contemporary Adult novel does.

★★★★


No comments:

Post a Comment