Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise #1) : Review

Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron

My rating: ★★★½

I read this book last summer so the review isn't going to be too in depth. (Actually I'm pretty much re-posting my Goodreads review for this book).
The main reason I wanted to read this book was that I'd previously read Chelsea M. Cameron's My Favorite Mistake and absolutely loved it so when I found out that she had a new book coming out I wanted to read that too and see if I would like it just as much.

The Synopsis (from Goodreads):
 Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.
Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.
Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face.
Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves To Kill a Mockingbird as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen.
The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache.

The Overall Opinion:
This book had its good parts and bad parts. There were parts that were just perfectly great but then there were also parts that were completely bland. Sometimes there would be this build up of suspense but then the climax was totally not worth that suspense. The end (or second half) of the book got a bit sloppy, in my opinion. Things were happening out of nowhere, Zan all of a sudden had this secret that had been eating him from the inside but there was no mention of such secret in the first half, it came out of nowhere. I mean, I guess I should have expected it... but I didn't because there was no mention of it until randomly towards the end. I was pretty disappointed with Zack's conclusion and, well, the entire conclusion in general. Another thing was that there were so many characters in the beginning half, and I loved that, but most of them sort of disappeared towards the middle and I completely forgot about them until the end when they started showing up again. 

The book wasn't as bad as I might have made it seem above. It was a good read and the beginning, especially, was fantastic. I just wish the second half had more substance and oomph to it.


UPDATE:
This review was originally written soon after I finished reading the book so these are my initial thoughts before I let the story sink in. I do remember this book in bits and pieces and I did enjoy it; I was just not fully satisfied with the conclusion.


Thank you to NetGalley, All Night Reads and Chelsea M. Cameron for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment