Monday, January 13, 2014

Onyx (Lux #2) : Review

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

My rating: ★★★½

The story continues off from where the Obsidian left off. Katy suddenly falls ill and soon after develops new abilities that neither her or Daemon can make sense of. A new boy, Blake, moves to town and soon becomes friends with Katy. She clings to him for a sense of normality in her life even though all the aliens around her seem to be suspicious and distrusting of Blake. The DOD is also in town and Katy, Daemon, Dee and the rest have to careful not to draw suspicion. Katy soon finds out more about what is going on with her and Blake turns out not to be who she thought. Meanwhile, Katy and Daemon's relationship moves like a crazy roller coaster ride as they deal with all kinds of stresses... and they aren't even together.

------------------------------------------

I didn't find this one to be as good or as exciting as Obisidian. There were moments where Katy annoyed me like none other and I just wanted to grab her and shake her and knock some sense into her. The tension between Katy and Daemon was insane. There was just so much of it and just when you think maybe things will work out they don't (I think I said the same thing in my review of Obsidian). I love Daemon even though he annoyed me at times as well. Blake was just so frustrating. In the beginning he was like the Jacob Black of this series. I liked him and I though he was great but I absolutely did not want him to be with Katy. By the end of the book though I really hated him. I was so frustrated with what was happening and so frustrated with all of the antagonists in this book but props to Jennifer Armentrout for establishing pretty legit motivations for each of them. As much as I hated them I could still kind of understand why they were doing what they were doing. That ending though (the very very ending) was just so cruel on Jennifer Armentrout's part. She rips your heart out and then puts it back in place but leaves you wondering if it really is back or not.

I'm not sure what rating to give this book. Four stars seems to high because I didn't like it as much as the first one and I did feel like it dragged on at parts but 3 also seems too low. So I'll stick with an overall 3.5/5 stars. I'm excited to read the next book in the series and figure out what is going on with the cliff-hanger-ish ending.



No comments:

Post a Comment