Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) : Review


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5287473-hex-hall
Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

My rating: ★★★★

The Gist:
The story is about a girl named Sophie Mercer. Sophie is a witch who, after being a bit zealous with her powers, gets sentenced to Hex Hall, a school for supernatural kids (i.e. witches, warlocks, fairies, vampires and werewolves.)

The Nitty Gritty:
Sophie doesn't know much about the supernatural world or her powers because she was raised by her human father and has had very very little contact with her warlock father. (In fact, she's never met the guy.) So you can imagine that being forced to attend a school filled with other supernaturals, all of whom were raised by their supernatural parents, can make Sophie feel a bit... lost. Throughout the course of the novel she discovers more about herself and where she comes from.

In the meantime, strange things have been happening at Hex Hall. Girls have been attacked and found dead or nearly dead and no one knows who or what is behind it. Also, there is a ghost that seems to be stalking Sophie.

The Characters:
Sophie- obviously the main character whose POV we get to experience the story from.
Elodie- the seeming leader of the school's popular girls clique. Actually, it's a coven and Elodie plus her two coven members are trying to get Sophie to join their coven.
Archer Cross- the school's token hottie that every girl is apparently crushing over, including Sophie. He starts off as a bit of a jerk but Sophie discovers a potential softer side to him. (Warning: there is no full fledged romance in this book. Just hard-core crushing). Also, Archer is the only on who gets his full name listed because it's just that cool. Archer Cross.
Jenna- Sophie's roommate and also a vampire. They become quick friends and Jenna is Sophie's one confidant in the entire school.
Mrs. Casnoff- She's the head of the school, the principal I guess. In my head she looks like a sueprmodel.
Cal- the groundskeeper. (Crap! I just spoiled something for myself looking up his name! OMG! My theory has been confirmed but still OMG!!!) Anyway, he is the groundskeeper with super healing powers. I know, it doesn't sound that interesting and Cal has three, maybe four scenes in the entire book and barely any conversation with Sophie but I thought he was worth mentioning because he is dreamy and I know there is a love triangle of sorts later on in the series and I'm thinking maybe it involves him. I don't know but I hope it involves him. I barely know the guy and I'm already Team Cal.



The Ending:
Maybe I should've expected it. Maybe I should've been able to guess. But I didn't. Not until Sophie guessed it herself anyway and even then I didn't guess all of it. I think that speaks for itself.

The Overall Opinion:
I really liked this book. I love Sophie's sarcasm, it reminds me of Rose Hathaway from the Vampire Academy series. I thought the whole book was like Vampire Academy meets Harry Potter. Obviously, it's not exactly like either of those but it has elements from both those series that really made this book enjoyable. Some people seem to really like Archer and ship Sophie+Archer but I wasn't really into it. I'm Team Cal for this one guys. Just saying.
This is a great book to pick up if you are interested in fantasy but not high fantasy. It was a pretty quick read for me, no dull moments at all. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment