Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Adult

Recently, (AKA last week) I discovered a genre called 'New Adult.' It's similar to young adult except it discusses more advanced topics like abuse and sex. I guess YA does that as well but NA does it in a more open fashion. I believe the target audience is 17+, so think of it as rated M version  of books.

So far, I have a perfect streak with my venture into this wonderfully amazing genre. (Granted, I've only read 3 books but still...) I've found all the characters to be relatable and lovable and the stories were moving, heart-breaking, and beautiful. Two of the books I read are part of a series and both have sequels coming out in the next month or two. Let me just say that I have never obsessively waited for a sequel as I do with these two books. Never. Especially not for contemporary novels. Seriously, after finishing these two books I so badly wanted to know what happens next. For one of them, it was because of a crazy cliff-hanger and the other because I wasn't ready to let go and move on from the story of the two main characters. Enough of being vague, I'll tell you which books I'm talking about and go into my thoughts about them as well.

My Favorite Mistake - Chelsea M. Cameron

Taylor is a girl that comes with a lot of baggage and a general mistrust in guys. Hunter is a cocky, good-looking flirt, all things that make Taylor dislike him more. It just so happens that Hunter is Taylor's roommate. Taylor wants nothing more than him to leave and so he makes a deal with her. If Taylor can prove to him that she hates him or loves him, Hunter will pack his bags and go.

I thought that this would be a somewhat cheesy and predictable romance novel. Girl and boy meet. They hate each other but really they are crazy attracted to each other and eventually they admit they're in love and happily ever after. It did follow that pattern, somewhat, but the predictable moments weren't any less exciting. I could totally see the attraction between the two and I loved their stories. They both had traumatic pasts that made them the way they are and while reading about it I felt for each of them. Hunter is now one of my favorite book-boyfriends. I loved his cockiness. :P

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden - Jessica Sorensen

In high school, Callie was the weird girl that no one paid any attention to. Kayden was the popular guy who also happened to be the star quarterback. One night, during the summer after graduation, Callie happens to be in the right place at the right time and saves Kayden's life. Since then, Kayden can't stop thinking about this girl who he never really noticed before. It just so happens that they end up going to the same college and there they develop a friendship which becomes something much more.

This books takes this idea of the popular guy falling for the weird, quiet girl but brings it to a whole new level. Callie and Kayden have both suffered through a lot. They both have issues and they never really knew how to deal with those issues and how go about fixing them until they meet each other. In a way they both end up saving each other's lives and teach each other how to move on and what being happy and safe and loved means. I liked that their relationship didn't happen all at once. I liked that it took time to get from one step to another and that sometimes they even ended up moving backwards. The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden was a beautiful read with a jaw-dropping ending. The cliff-hanger is one of the best/worst (depending on how you look at it) that I've read.

Fallen Too Far - Abbi Glines

Blaire's dad left her and her mom five years ago, then her mom and got sick and Blaire had to take care of her on her own. After her mom's death, Blaire has no other option than to go stay with her newly married dad until she can get back on her feet. When she goes to see her dad, she discovers that he is nowhere to be found and the nice big house actually belongs to Rush, her new stepbrother who also happens to be the son of a rockstar. Rush continues to send mixed signals to Blaire and as hurt as she is she decided to take what mercy Rush gives her until she can afford a place of her own. Soon enough a romance develops between the two but there are many obstacles in their path, the biggest of which is Nan, rushes sister. It seems that Rush will do anything to protect Nan, who happens to hate Blaire, and everyone seems to know why except for Blaire.

I loved Blaire. She's the kind of girl who tries to put up a tough front and tries to convince herself that she's strong and she handle the judgment and denial but in reality she can't. All those things effect her and hurt her but she tries to not let them. I found that characteristic to be very relatable, especially as a girl. Rush was confusing and mysterious at first and only got better as the story went on. I loved them together but I sympathized with Blaire the whole way through. The ending, when the big secret, is finally revealed, I felt so horrible for Blaire. I felt her pain and I understood everything she did. The ending was absolutely heart-breaking. This big secret which seems to only be a secret for Blaire and common knowledge for everyone else had a bit of a build up to it and I found myself trying to figure out what it could possibly be but I would have never come up with what the secret actually was. I can't stop thinking about that ending and about Blaire and what's going to happen now. Ugh, I need the sequel so bad.

Ok, I know they all look like sappy romance novel but they're not. They're beautiful stories about beautiful, real characters that are going to stick with time after. I would recommend all three books. Seriously, go read it right now. I finished each in just one day cause I could not put it down.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I want to read Fallen Too Far and The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden! I'm glad you liked them!

    Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete