Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mrs. Selena Bieber

I was with my cousin, the radio was on and there was a Selena Gomez song playing. (I think it was "Love you Like a Love Song" but that's beside the point) Someone asked who the song was by and I said Selena Gomez. My cousin responds by saying, "She's going to be Selena Bieber soon!" I looked at her and gave her a what-are-you-talking-about look and she assured me that this was true because a girl from school had said so. She said that Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber are in fact engaged and will be getting married soon. 

As far as I know, this isn't true but the whole incident got me thinking about how strange it is that even kids so young (my cousin is a nine-year old third grader) are gossiping and that too about celebrities they've probably never met, let alone know personally. 

I don't know if I was the same way when I was that age (only about 10 years ago) but I find it fascinating. I don't know if gossiping is just part of our intrinsic nature or if it's something we pick up along the way. Either way, why do we do it? Why do we find other people to be so fascinating? Gossiping about people you know, as horrible as it is, can still have some reasonable explanations but what do we get out of gossiping about total strangers? I guess talking about a mean rumor might make us feel better because it makes the person less perfect but what do we get from spreading a neutral rumor or gossiping about something positive even, like marriage.

There's so much about his world and people that will never seize to amaze me, and I hope that you never stop being amazed by world around you either.

No comments:

Post a Comment