Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review Mash-Ups : Evertrue & The Moon and More


I already know this month is going to be slow for me. I'm currently in the process of studying for the MCAT which I will be taking in less than a month. I'm feeling a mix of emotions ranging from terrified to excited to ready-to-get-it-done-with. Due to the massive amounts of time that the preparation for the MCAT takes up I have significantly less time to do the reading that I want to do. I have a lot of books I want to read but not enough time to read them. That's okay though because I basically have to rough it through March and once I take the test in the first week of April I will have tons of time to read. (I'm already planning a major read-a-thon for the span on the summer.) The lack of time also means less updates and posts on this blog, only for the time being. So, for the sake of time, I've decided to do a mash-up review of the two books I've read so far in March.

 Evertrue (Everneath #3) by Brodi Ashton

Rating: ★★★★

Everneath is a mythology inspired series that is a loose re-telling of the Persephone myth. I love mythology so of course I was excited about this series and happened to love the first two books. I got my hands on the third and final one, Evertrue, ASAP and read it just as soon. I think the best and biggest compliment that I can give Brodi Ashton is this:

"I just want to congratulate Brodi Ashton on accomplishing the seemingly impossible task of writing a non-disappointing conclusion to a well-loved series. That is all." (Yes, I did just quote myself)

Enough said. (Okay so this installment wasn't as exciting as the first two but I still liked it. I didn't like what was going on with Cole but I can live with it. I can accept that whole Cole thing. All in all, I was not disappointed with the conclusion to this series which is more than I can say for some of the other conclusions I've read recently.) 

Let's just take a moment to really appreciate this accomplishment though.
 

 The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

Rating: ★★★

 I have to give Sarah Dessen the credit for making me fall in love with reading. I didn't become an avid reader until I discovered her books back in middle school. I read one book which was followed by another and another until eventually I'd read all her books and eagerly anticipated each new release. The Moon and More is her most recent novel and of course I had to read it. 

First of all, I opened this book and just after the first page was hit by a wave of nostalgia. Sarah Dessen has a way of writing that is just so smooth and nice to read and I've missed that cause the last time I'd read a book by her was when What Happened to Goodbye came out several years ago. Having said that, I don't think that this is some of her best work. It seemed like it was lacking in the things that are classic in Dessen novels. Things that her fans have come to expect from every book. For example, generally the main character is easy to relate to and they all have their own personal issues that most girls can sympathize with. Emaline's issue was probably that she wasn't really sure about her future and what she wanted in life but it seemed more like Emaline's issue was about a guy or maybe two. Secondly, I wasn't rooting for either guy which might have been the point. Maybe the whole point was that Emaline needs to focus on herself and that doesn't have to involve a boy. I'm all for that but if she's going to be in a relationship then I wish there was some purpose behind it. I found myself wondering why she was in this relationship in the first place. There's also a break-up in this book which did not feel like a break up at all to me. It lasted about 5 minutes and considering the circumstances I would think that she would maybe be a little more sad and not be over it as soon as she was. 

This book wasn't bad. It just didn't live up to Sarah Dessen standards. It was missing or lacking in the classic Sarah Dessen elements that we've come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment