Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) : Review

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Rating: ★★★½

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets--and human lives.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

There is so much more Adrian in this book! Woohoo! I'll be honest and admit that the main reason I started the Bloodlines series is because of Adrian Ivashkov. I loved him in the Vampire Academy series an jumped on the chance to read more of him. More Adrian also means more Sydrian!

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney does a lot of self-discovery. She's figuring out what to do when it comes to The Alchemists, her witch identity, and Adrian. I was so happy that this was finally happening because it needed to. Sydney basically grew up in a small bubble and she was trained to do and think as the Alchemists do. She had a very biased up bringing. Now that she's experiencing the real world on her own, she's able to think on her own and formulate her opinions. Her struggle with accepting the things that she's feeling is very realistic and I'm glad that she didn't just accept it right away. I appreciate that it was a process for her and it took effort to fight the things that were so ingrained in her. Of course, this also meant that I was getting more frustrated with her at some points but that's okay.

Marcus was... well actually I didn't know what to think of Marcus. Initially, I was a bit suspicious at the end I felt the same way that Sydney was feeling about him. All talk no walk. I don't know if he's going to be coming up in the next books but if he does I hope there's more substance to him and that he plays a bigger role than he did in this one.

I haven't liked the Bloodlines series nearly as much as the Vampire Academy series. The first two books were just okay and I've been slow in continuing. I'd heard that the story really picks up from book 3 and though I did find this to be true, I had other critiques. Yes, there was more going on, which is what I wanted, but it almost seemed like there was too much going on. It felt like there were two main story lines happening and they didn't really work together. There was the Alchemist story line and Sydney working with Marcus to find out more about the organization that she works for. There was also the evil-power-and-youth-sucking witch story line which had Sydney doing more magic and working with Ms. Terwilliger. Both story lines were good but I felt like they were clashing because they had nothing in common, except for Sydney. I was hoping that they might weave together at the end but they didn't. The story was going back and forth between the two plots and it was just too much.

I will still continue the series because Adrian and because I'm already half-way through so why not, right? If the story goes anything like Vampire Academy did, I expect The Fiery Heart to be even more fast-paced. Hopefully, there is a better flow. It might be a while before I read it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment